In 2011, I spent a big chunk in Minneapolis, a moderate chunk in New Orleans, a sizable chunk in Tucson area, an inconsequential chunk in Detroit and a negligible amount of time in San Francisco and other miscellaneous spots in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wisconsin.
It's difficult to avoid cliches about ups and downs and how fast the year went by so I just sneaked it in just now to get it over with...
For your viewing pleasure, I've compiled a list of things that altered my personal universe this year.
Personal Accomplishments I Sincerely Recommend:
Managed to live rent-free for 1/3 of the year...
Perfected red beans and rice
- They are as good as anybody's mama's in New Orleans
- Well, I moved to New Orleans instead of running the Twin Cities Marathon in October, but I did manage to run 10 miles while I was training...continuously.
- Ten miles!
- With my own body!
Finally Launched Birds in Fox Dens Vintage
- Enter promo code HECKYES for 20% off your entire purchase the entire month of January
Great—even if late—Discoveries I'd Like to Share:
St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur... I don't even know how to describe its flavor, but it will haunt you
Here is my own personal concoction—The St. Summer Grimes Flower:
- one part St. Germaine Elderflower liquer
- one part gin (preferably Hendricks)
- 1/2 part fresh squeezed lime juice
- a slice or 3 of cucumber, aggressively muddled
- shake in a martini shaker with ice, pour in chilled martini glass (top with a splash of club soda if you like slash are a wimp)
- This was a complete accident late at night on the road with Kady of A Lady Reveals Nothing while listening to This American Life
- There is simply no duplicating these
- Here is the description for their "Bangkok Blucy": We soak mozzarella in coconut milk before we stuff it into the burger and top it off with pickled carrots, cucumbers, red onions, and ginger. Served with a side of curry for delectable dunking...
The Desert, to include Cacti in general, Saguaro National Monument Park, The Painted Desert, The Grand Canyon, Monument National Park, and others...
Two Broke Girls
- I sort of edged this one in...because Kat Dennings is intoxicating.
- Yes you heard me right; I said intoxicating
So these were just a handful of 2011 Highlights. What was one ~please please participate—it'll be so fun~ discovery or remarkable event of your 2011?